Rishi Sensei

Heading home to Amrika!!

Sunday, September 03, 2006

School and Mt. Ontake

Again, thanks to my buddies for your support. You guys (and gals) are awesome.

It's weird. I'm a foreigner in Japan, and I haven't taught at all before, but it's almost as if everybody thinks I have. Is that a good thing? They don't tell me anything, so I guess that means they're treating me like an adult, but they don't even think to tell me where my classrooms are beforehand, I have to ask these things, so sometimes I'm like, "whaaaaaaaaat the goofy?" I guess they are "inside" their culture, so they don't even know what I do or do not know. Oh man, cultural learning can get tiring sometimes (Do it my way fool!). But it's worth it in the end.

I've wanted to write this. As of today, I have taught 7 classes, climbed the tallest mountain in my area (Mt. Ontake), been to 5 parties, went on a school trip to Nagoya and an island where I played with jellyfish and had octopus curry (yummy! - no really, when it's cooked in a curry octopus tastes good, but when it was steaming hot and purple and fully intact (though dead) later on during dinner it isn't so good - too chewy), played in a teachers volleyball tournament, been to a barbeque...yeah, who should be getting paid here? It will get busy but right now...btw, I think I should have internet in a couple of days.

Classes are good. I just want to get to know the kids. I know that will be the most rewarding part of my experience here. Since the teachers room in the chugakko (junior high school) is so uptight, the kids are a relief. John, the ability to play with kids is probably more important than some "miraculous teaching." When it comes to learning English, it seems that just getting them comfortable and liking the langauge is the main point. So if you can play with kids who speak English, the language can't be all that bad. The other thing is that in Japan it's all about the self-introduction. I have to give a small self-introduction speech at every welcome party, and have had to give real speeches at the schools. My first lesson for every new class is a self-intro lesson. It makes sense, that is the most interesting part for the kids (who is this hairy Indian man, and boy are they amazed at the amount of hair I have.) So at the elementary school, I've been doing Kung Fu. I do a quick form, which really sucks to anyone who knows Kung Fu, but the kids give me props. It's just because I jump high and make loud sounds while screaming like Bruce Lee. Well, I don't scream like Bruce Lee, but I do take my shirt off like him. The female teachers go nuts. O.k. I wish.

Mt. Ontake was yesterday. It's our resident volcano (pictures up soon) but the last explosion was many many years ago. So it was safe. It's 3067 meters high, but...well, I'm not going to lie, we took the gondola half-way up and half-way down. But still, it was a hike. I'mn kind of proud, I thought I was tired on the way down, but today I woke up very genki (full of energy), so I'm more healthy than I thought I was.

John, I need to call you to see how you did on your MCAT, Steve, how is Nuvowire, Aaron, when are you coming to visit? Rocky, please send my stuff, Mom, send me stuff, and Dad, yeah right, Dad doesn't read this blog.

Much love.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lettyyyy said...

Sounds great over there. Hey you're funny. Keep writing!

and ahem...ahem... volcano terminology fyi, from an expert volcano-resident: eruption not explosion

-p

7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home