Rishi Sensei

Heading home to Amrika!!

Friday, July 25, 2008

On Goodbye Speeches

I was really proud of myself last night. I remember hearing that you should put a good effort into your goodbye speeches, because they are the last words many people will hear from you. It's really sad to think about that, that those are last words and I won't see many of my students aver again, but I decided to take that advice to heart and put some effort into these goodbye speeches. I am sooooooo glad I did. With all the cynicism I've had recently about my role as an ALT, I had some things I wanted to complain about. But I knew that after two years, most things were probably misunderstandings and I should talk about the positive parts of my experience here. So I did. And of course, the important thing about writing is that while it might be a pain to do it in the beginning, it really does make you think about what you have done and how you have changed. And I realized that there were so many positive things that have happened to me here. I really gave three excellent speeches. I bawled my eyes out at my elementary school, I couldn't stop once I saw all those cute little faces, and I knew that for many it would be the last time. I didn't cry anywhere else because no where else felt quite as safe and caring as elementary school, but I gave an excellent speech at junior high school. I told them how they taught me to look at people as people, not with their culture, and how their kindness was such a positive impact on foreigners. I told them how I would never forget them, and that I couldn't wait to share what I had learned in Japan with people across the world. I had everybody's attention, ever single kid, rapt attention, even the kids who sleep through every class.
My speech at the teacher's party which was also a farewell to was also great. I really feel like I impacted the teachers and since it was my chance to share what I had been thinking and feeling over the past two years, no matter what they think of me or how little they got to know me, they most certainly will remember your last words. It shows what's in your heart, and they will definitely remember that. I'm so glad I listened to that JET participants advice and put my very best into my speeches. It matters so much.
I came home so fulfilled and happy from last night. Maybe this is a Japanese thing, but beginnings and endings are so important. Actually, the middle is equally important even if there is no pomp and ceremony. I'm so glad I put that effort into my speeches!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home