Rishi Sensei

Heading home to Amrika!!

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Cultural Exchange

You know, this experience is making me realize just how long cultural exchange has been happening. Though I tended to think of cultural exhange being a product of post-1600 age of exploration (can you tell I was educated in America) and building up until what I thought was the cultural explosion known as globalization (amazing how I write on occasion of contemplation - ooh yeah!), that's not the case. So much of what is loved by the children in Japan, soccer, baseball, basketball, band, tennis, (yes that is what everybody does after school) these are all European (and American)! Except sumo, that's huuuuge here, I think even bigger than baseball (oooh, unintended pun! - I'm clever without even knowing it booooyaaah!) Especially when it comes to sports man - I mean cricket is huge in India, I was looking into games in India, Badmington is huge both here and in India. That developed from a game in England called battledore and shuttlecock, basically the same thing as badmington. The piano is huge here...I try and think of songs to teach the kids, simple songs I grew up with, "London Bridge is Falling Down," "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" - nope, "already heard of it" the music teacher tells me - "they are going to learn it next year of actually, btw it's already been translated into Japanese." No way! Luckily they didn't know duck duck goose. Sorry to the next JET.

But it goes beyond that I realize. I was talking with a friend who described to me how the Italians got noodles from China. I mean, I did learn that (Marco Polo, but it was just one sentence is sixth grade social studies), but I never thought about it. Italian pasta comes from China!!!! What!!! But, pasta is the basis of Italian culture. To BE pasta is to BE Italian (o.k. all Italian friends - do I even have any? - now hate me). That means to BE Chinese is to BE Italian is to BE PASTA!!!! (O.k., all Italian friends now want to shoot me). It goes for Japan, Buddhism - China. Where did China get it - Ahem...Siddartha is not a Chinese name. Even Kung Fu (I gotta say this because I love Kung Fu, and Asian culture in general - but I'm Indian so I represent) got one of it's biggest boosts from the Bhoddidharma - a buddhist Indian monk who traveled to China. When I say a boost I mean some people (not proud Indians but other KungFu-o-philes) consider him the founder of Kung Fu - I don't know enough about it yet. If you do Kung Fu, and then take yoga in college like I did, you would feel what I felt - Kung Fu does all the exercises that yoga does!

I'm not trying to say all the cultures are the same. Cultures are radically different. Chinese culture is all about Confucianism and Yin and Yang, the I' Ching and chinese society and other things which form the basis (I've never taken a class on any of this, sorry to all my chinese friends - except Steve and Simon who I would never say sorry to) Chinese culture but come only from China. And even if Bhuddism did come from India, well, there's not a lot of Buddhists in India. But the writing of Japan came from China, so much of Japanese culture comes from China (ssshhhh, I haven't taken any classes on Japanese culture either - Koji and Franz don't use any swears in your comments - my mother reads this), but of course, Japanese society is so different from Chinese. It's just crazy though, I mean, Roman civilization - the Olympics, that's Greek, American education, I had to learn Latin in school, Japanese education, modeled after Prussia as is most places!

The more you think, the more you realize how much and for how long cultural exchange has been happening. The list just goes on and on, I mean think about it. Exchange is really nothing new at all.

Of course, the conclusion and basic thesis of this manifest is that all culture comes from India. Everybody and everything. All of you reading this, you are truly brown under the skin; - somewhere in the middle of your epidermis. That would be your medium-dermis. We also have the hottest women.

Disclaimer : the information in this scholarly manifest is correct to the best of my knowledge, except for the Indian women and cultural part which is an absolute truth, like God is an absolute truth, and any mistakes will and should be taken with a genial laugh and hey at least you didn't have to deal with Apu from the Simpsons while you were growing up...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must object to your thesis my beloved friend. All culture comes from Africa because that is the bithplace of Humanity. According to many theological scholars the biblical garden of eden would have been in Africa. (Which means that Adam and Eve are NOT the the blonde and blue eyed supermodels we see in the European tradition - Adam and Eve would have looked a lot like one of my brothers and sisters from the motherland.) According to many scientific scholars the "evolution" of man began in Africa. Thus, "culture" had it's birthplace with "Man" AND "Woman" in my native Africa.

Now I have no idea what my African roots are but I just can't resist this opportunity to "represent."

But you are correct when you say Indian women are GORGEOUS. And I just LOVE their CLOTHES!!! I can't wait to go to India just to go shopping!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Rishi! What the heck are you talking about? This is way over my head...just kidding. I wanted you to know I stopped by your blog. Looks like I'll have to come back when I have more time and am more awake...

Glad you're doing well!!!
Rebekah

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, you have "Ol' McDonald had a farm" and "Kentucky Home" and "Country Road" and, etc. etc. I have to say, as a pianist and a violinist, that cultural exchange has been fairly intense in the musical arena.

As much as I am amazed at the frequency of intercultural communication and the tolerance of both the emitters & receivers from ancient times, however, I am more fascinated with the fact that peole have always wanted their life to be comfortable and altered these foreign cultural traditions to be easily accepted in their societies.

That is exactly what separates present Japan from China and other Asian neighbours -for example, Sri Lankans practice a different sect of Buddhism from that in China or in Japan. Koreans took Confuciansism rather than Buddhism.
Vietnamese, under the influence of China to the north, maintained their local faith by relating it with Buddhist tradition.

Moreover, I am sceptical about how much of today's culture was genuinely imported from Western countries. We had a form of badminton (with a wooden flat racket and a metal ball attached to a bird feather), volleyball (with a paper balloon), and soccer (in which people tried hard not to let the ball touch the ground) in as early as 10th Century, long before they were informed of Europe, though it wasn't long after their encouter with Europeans and Americans that they amalgamated "new" cultures with the local one. I guess that it's quite possible that these small bits and pieces were born everywhere at pretty much the same period of time before exchange tok place and a certain culture became dominant over another. Okay, I don't think I'm making sense.

You're such a biology major! I cracked up at your "epidermis" remarks :)

11:34 PM  
Blogger Steven Zhou said...

i looked up lemmings.... "The actual reason for their 'suicide' deaths is because lemmings have poor eyesight and cannot distinguish a small river, which they can easily cross, from a ford, in which they will almost surely drown." i find that VERY funny. very...

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, somewhere around the stratum spinosum and stratum granulosum of the epidermis we all have melanocytes... ;) Had to throw in a bit of anatomy...can you bleive they are making me take Bio 1 again??? and worse! Chem 1!!! and WORSE! Physics 1!!!!!!!!! Sigh...
Very nice entry, though, and it is interesting to think about how different cultures gave rise to eachother. I didnt know that about the pasta! Potatoes are the stable of German food, but they also didnt come to Germany until about 100 years ago or so, when they were brought over from the Americas. What fascinates me the most is how "new world" cultures grew in a similar fashion to the "old world" cultures, eventhough the continents were seperated for so long. Yet there are many similaritise. The Mayans, espeically, were absolutely amazing. Their astronomical abilities are mindblowing. They knew and documented stuff we often still have a hard time discovering with modern technology. A lot of similar discoveries happened in Europe and Asia at the same time. The deveopment of language and structures is so amazing, too. I mean take Egyptian hyrogliphs and compare them to native American writings. Neat stuff!
Take care Rishi :)

6:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home