Rishi Sensei

Heading home to Amrika!!

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Inspiration

I've always been a big fan of leaders you can look up to. I guess everyone has their own goals and ambitions, so who one looks up to differs, but lately, though there are many famous people worth admiring, I've taken to admiring certain everyday people whose lives really exemplify what it means to be a hero. This sounds like an eighth grade essay but what's funny is that now I mean it. These everyday heros are not perfect, nobody is, but they do things that are not glorified yet are necessary to the fabric of our society. Take the gakkuen I go to. There are people there that run the place. They are not invited to the town festivals to make speeches, nor do the people of Agematsu know their name, but without them the gakkuen wouldn't exist. Who is invited to the make town speeches? Of course, the leaders of the town, the mayor, the head of the board of education - I'm not at all saying that they aren't worthy, I'm just saying it's a bit more inspirational for me to look up to other people, maybe just because they do what they do without any credit. The teachers that I work with that don't go home until 9 o'clock. The kids at the gakkuen who clearly know that they're lives aren't normal - I remember being a kid and sometime feeling depressed and winding myself down into the viscious cycle of self-pity and depression. Maybe I compare things that are radically different too much, such as my life and a Japanese kid's life but I would feel so unmotivated sometimes - like I would want to give up. I look at these kids at the gakkuen and though I barely know them or their exact situation, the simple fact that they don't look like they've given up on life is inspiring. I'm comparing to myself, I know I've given up at times when I shouldn't have.

Back home in the U.S. it's the same thing. I always used to look outside for role models, or to people who were successful by society's standards. But people like my mother, my 8th grade social studies and english teachers, my teacher at Kung Fu, these are the people that I've known the best, and now that I look back, are the most inspiring. They work hard with no credit, they do what is right b/c that is what makes them who they are, and they have a strength for life that does not come from vanity, fame, greed, pride, or recognition. I'm trying to decide right now what I want to do with my life, and though sometimes I think about making huge changes and being a powerful leader, I think, do I have the character to handle great power? Why do I want power, is it for the right reasons? Do I have what it takes to be a good role model for other people?

So what inspires you?

5 Comments:

Blogger Steven Zhou said...

rishi i got a long response for ya but don't want to take up ten pages of comments. but in short, i don't think being a leader is something you decide or "choose" yourself into. when i look at leaders, they became that way not bc they chose to be leaders but bc actually the opposite, there was no choice. there was no other way for them to live. revolutionaries become that way out of a pure disgust and revulsion towards the current system, and naturally the revulsion creates a certain life for them, and in your case i see christian missionary leaders become leaders not out of a choice but out of the deep love that develops for christ and the genuine compassion that develops for the unsaved.

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lately I've been inspired by anyone with some sort of health problem but who exhibits such a positive attitude towards life in general. Dealing with my little problem lately has opened my eyes to what it REALLY must be like to have something that the doctors can't cure. I was watching some special on children with this disease that makes them age faster...so you have this 8 year old stuck in a body that has an 80 year old's problems. And this kid is so...at peace with it. She does her best to enjoy the life that God gave her despite the burden that came with it. That kind of wisdom and innocence and perseverence inspires me.

6:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My inspiration is people with strong emotional drives to live on. I don't look for achievements or charisma that make them "great". It can be a pious Christian deeply engaged in thinking about life with God, an undergrad not yet certain of what occupation he looks for but clear with things that entices him for the rest of his life, or a custodian who volunteers to devote his precious time in cleaning the floors full of marks of spit chewing gum.
One of the things I got shocked by in the States is that there is defined social status according to occupation and people judge what is socially respectable, or at least my roommate did. Even with the presence of social mobility in America, I'd like to look at people's "kokoro no shin".

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am inspired by people who instead of trying to change others seek to change themselves. A person who doesn't turn up his nose and see the problems of the world as "out there" but within him or herself. A person who spends everyday asking "How can I change myself to better love those around me?" I know two people who are like this and they are very humbling to me. It's like they are from another planet.. the world isn't worthy of them...

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it too late to comment on this entry? What a great topic! What I find most inspiring (other than Rishi Sidhu, of course) is when I meet a person who has taken full responsibility for his/her personal growth over the years and, as a result, has acquired a deep and genuine self-love. These people aren't narcissistic; rather, they’re the most humble, approachable, and loving people on the planet. And because they’re so emotionally secure, they can afford to display their true, fully-developed personalities for the world to see. They’re the people who realize that man is separated from the animals by his ability to choose how he will respond to any given stimulus (e.g. social programming, upbringing, the negative influences of negative people), and they consistently exercise this free will instead of yielding to knee-jerk, reactive impulses like anger, self-pity, pride, and bitterness. And because they consistently make good decisions, they can’t help but to love themselves. Just like Dan Eum said, these people work on changing themselves and as a result change others.

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home